Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Friday 25 May 2012

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Page Count:  391 pages, Paperback
Date Published: October 13th 2009



For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. At least, not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and probing eyes, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora’s not sure who to trust—she can’t decide whether she should fall into Patch’s arms or run and hide from him. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth more unsettling than any feeling Patch evokes. For Nora stands amid an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen—and choosing the wrong side will cost her life.



My Thoughts: I'm not sure why I stalled with reading this...
My expectations for this book were shall we say... Low. I had put off reading it for so long, but when I saw it in Coles for 5$ I bought it impulsively, then convincing myself that it was finally time to read it. I don't want to say I don't like angel books, but it is a fact that it takes a lot for me to actually finish one and say "Holy crow, that was great." Though I didn't say that about this book, I did really enjoy it.

As you may know, I'm all about books surprising me. This book both did and didn't surprise me when it came to the plot line and everything else about it. There were so many predictable moments and yet they still made me raise my eyebrows or say "Oh. My. Rowling. Did that just happen?" I was totally suspicious of the 'bad guy' and yet it still shocked me when it turned out to be true... He was evil. I felt like the story was slow at the beginning but began to pick up when there were about 100 pages left. But I read it all in a day, non-stop so I can't exactly tell you it was a slow read. I enjoyed the style of writing, but it wasn't that unique or special. I feel like the only way to describe Hush, Hush is that it's a generic YA paranormal angel romance, but it's so not.

The thing that made it for me was the characters. I loved Patch and even though he was creepy and rude at times, the entire time all I wanted was for Nora to realize he was the one for her. BUT. When it finally did happen, I was really confused and disoriented. I didn't understand what happened to make them suddenly realize they wanted to be together. Here was Nora totally hating Patch, and then there's Nora... Kissing Patch. ??? I mean, yes I realize sometimes it suddenly spontaneously clicks inside a girl's brain, like "Oh hey, I kinda like this freak-of-nature angel dude who may or may not be attempting to kill me," but I would have liked it more if I could make some sense into what exactly made Nora she loved him. I liked Nora as a character, but some of the things she did made me want to hit my head against a wall, moaning "WHY?" I also really enjoyed the way the author created the supporting characters. They were there, they had a part and they weren't totally unnecessary. But, the spotlight was still on the main two and it let me focus on a nice, easy read. The conclusion to the book was just that... A conclusion. I didn't automatically gasp and yell "WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!?" as I put it down. There was definitely more that could be added, but if you for some reason didn't like it, there wasn't this huge hole in my heart waiting to be filled by the second book.

Considering the next book, Crescendo is only 5$ because of inventory clear-out of the hard-covers at Coles, I'm going to go get it soon and enjoy looking at it on my shelf until I start having a need for more Patch. For now, I'm enjoying the fact that I got through another angel book with no real difficulties. Maybe I'll be able to convince myself that I should read Illuminate by Aimee Agresti... It has been sitting there for awhile. I don't know, maybe! Tell me, what do you think about the angel genre? Yes? No? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to know your guyses opinions!

Have an incredible day/night everyone!
-Kristy

2 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and found it somewhat mediocre. It was entertaining enough to finish, but not outstanding in a way that would leave me saying, "that was awesome." I really had little desire to continue reading the series, and so haven't. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, found your blog over on BookBlogs, love the review I followed!! I would love it if you could check out my book blog to. http://readingunderthewillowtree.blogspot.co.uk/ Thanks, kate

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...