Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 15 March 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I had been really hesitant about reading Divergent, as there was no real description on the back, but there had been so much talk about it I decided to purchase it and THANK GOODNESS I DID! This book has everything I love in a dystopia-type novel. It's sexy, it's intense and it has surprises at every turn of the page.

Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
Page Count: 487 pages, Paperback
Date Published: January 1st 2011

Goodreads Description:
In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

ONE CHOICE
Decides your friends

ONE CHOICE
Defines your beliefs

ONE CHOICE
Determines your loyalties--Forever.

ONE CHOICE 
CAN TRANSFORM YOU



My Rating: 4/5 ~It took me a while to understand everything, but when I did... I was hooked!

As I said before, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book because of the lack of description on the paperback copy. (That was all that had been in stock at my store.) But I had heard so many great things about it that I was like 'What the heck!' and bought it. I began reading it just after I finished Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver and if you've read my review on that, you'll know how P.O.'ed I was at the end! So going into this book I was really hoping it would keep my mind off of the other book and I was a little bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it was just because of the situation I was in but I didn't get super absorbed into this book until about halfway through. The beginning was not bad, it was actually really good. It just seemed a bit predictable as to what Tris' choice would be and how she'd react to it. Beatrice was a great protagonist in my mind. She didn't bother me that much at all actually. I really admired her strength and dedication to her family. Four/Tobias was... cool. No. He was amazing. I really loved Tris and him together! This was one of those rare books with no love-triangle... YAY! Don't get me wrong, I love a good triangle, but it was refreshing not to have one for once. But, I'm just wondering... do we know what color hair Four/Tobias has? Because... either I missed it or we never find out. I'm picturing him with dark brown hair right now, but something's also telling me that may not be it. Hmmm... can anyone help me out with this?

In the long run, I really loved this book. It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, but it also didn't live up to some of the raving reviews I've seen. If you're like me and can't seem to get really into it at first, just keep going! It gets sooooo much better in the second half, and you do not want to miss the ending. It's dramatic and mind blowing and seriously crazy. I cannot wait to read what happens next!

Let me know what you thought of Divergent, and also... what  color hair does Four/ Tobias have? I'm seriously confused.

Only 46 more days until INSURGENT!
~Kristy

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too! Lived up to the hype for me- I couldn't put it down! I agree about Four- I liked how there wasn't the insta-love thing between them...at first I think he creeps her out a bit! He caught her eye but she didn't go all gooey and I MUST HAVE HIM over it! I liked that. I think the meaning behind the 'Four' thing was cool as well. I also like how it's quite brutal- some real violence! Great review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I forgot to mention how much I actually liked the violence in it!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually saw a recommendation for this book on GoodReads based on your review. I am now your newest follower. I really like the detail you put into your reviews.

    regards,
    micky of Auto Collision Shops

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...